In the organisation of the Paneuropean Union of France, the international conference "Independent, Sovereign and United Power of Europe" was held from February 17 to 19, 2023 in Strasbourg. Alain Terrenoire, Éric Campion, Bernd Posselt, Ihor Zhaloba, Gordana Đurović, Mislav Ježić, Dubravka Šuica, etc. spoke. I participated in the first round table about European values.
The following excerpts from my presentation were reported in the media: "Citizens of all countries in the European Union do not share the same opinion about the highest goods. What is emphasised as a civic virtue in the Netherlands is not accepted in the same way in Poland. In some countries, religiosity or the role of the family is greater. In others, there is a greater emphasis on individual rights. Some societies are more open to immigrants than others. Cultural differences can be beneficial and bring fruitful development to the community if they are well harmonised. But if they turn into irreconcilable ideological conflicts, they can lead to the disastrous destruction of the community. If the debate on values turns into political confrontations, which lead to the punishment of member states, it can lead to the disintegration of the European Union. It is necessary to strengthen European values and what unites Europe spiritually. At the same time, one must not ignore the value with which Europeans overcame centuries of religious conflicts and wars more successfully than other parts of the world - tolerance. I therefore think that it should be promoted from a mere characteristic of society to the first line of fundamental values in the EU treaty."
Next to the conference, an enlarged Presidency Council of the International Paneuropean Union was held on February 18, 2023. The session was chaired by the president Alain Terrenoire. The following declaration was adopted.
Declaration of the International Pan-European Union
Strasbourg, 18 February 2023
The centenary of the activity of the International Pan-European Movement is a remarkable jubilee in the history of contemporary Europe. The movement was founded and presided by the visionary of the Pan-European unification and promoter of the creation of common European bodies (European Parliamentary Union, Council of Europe, European Parliament, etc.) count Richard von Coudenhove Kalergi between the 1920-ies and 1972, and thereafter until 2004 by the Archduke Otto von Habsburg, whose efforts gave crucial support to the process of accession of all member states of the European communities, now European Union, since his first election in 1979 to the European Parliament. He is followed by the former member of the French National Assembly and of the European Parliament Alain Terrenoire, who is successfully guiding the International PEU since 2004. Almost all the founders of the European communities in the 1950-ies were members of the Pan-European movement already before the Second World War. The Pan-European idea has been built into the foundations of the actual European Union. And that is what we are celebrating at the jubilee meeting of the International Pan-European Union in Strasbourg.
We, members of the Enlarged Presidency of the International Pan-European Union, at our meeting in Strasbourg, February 18, 2023, at the occasion of the conference of the International PEU An Independent, Sovereign, and United Power Europe, organised by the Pan-European Union of France, declare:
1. The European Communities and the European Union were born out of dire experiences of the two world wars in the 20th century. The Union is the answer to many dangers and challenges and was founded on the idea of peace. That is what was recognised by the Nobel Committee when the EU was granted the Nobel Prize for Peace in 2012.
2. We are fighting with all our political possibilities for a European Union which is a real world power of peace with a common foreign and defence policy, an European Army and full sovereignty on all political fields, which are necessary, that Europe can survive in a world, which becomes more and more dangerous.
3. We support the democratisation of the European Union by strengthening the European Parliament and its seat in Strasbourg, symbol of peace, freedom and reconciliation in Europe.
4. We warn that the deficiencies of the European Union, noticed in these times of crisis, should be corrected. The European Union should secure its self-sufficiency in the food production and its energy sovereignty.
5. In our concern for the European identity and European motivation of the citizens of the European Union we want to stress the importance of education and culture, and specifically of the care for a good humanistic education in Europe.
6. Other fields of education, science, technology and research should be strongly promoted in order to secure the competitiveness of the European Union in the world.
7. We wholeheartedly support the brave resistance of the Ukrainian people against the Greater-Russian aggression, and for freedom, democracy and European values. We strongly ask for further humanitarian and financial aid and defence arms supply to Ukraine, and wish Ukraine to make a great success in the future accession negotiations with the EU.
8. We oppose all the threats to the democratic government of Moldova from the Russian side. We strongly support the independence, freedom and the EU perspective of this European country.
9. Therefore, we greet the granting of the candidate status for membership in the EU to Ukraine and Moldova.
10. We greet the decision to start of the accession negotiations with North Macedonia and Albania.
11. We greet the decision of the European Council and European Commission to grant the candidate status to Bosnia and Herzegovina. We want Bosnia and Herzegovina to abandon the aspirations to hegemony of any community and to constructively accept this European perspective.
12. We invite the Montenegrin Parliament to establish the functioning of the Constitutional Court in its full capacity as a necessary step towards resolving the deep political crisis, conduct further presidential elections in March 2023, and continue an inclusive political dialogue about the next parliamentary elections. We wish good progress in the accession negotiations to Montenegro.
13. We wish the improvement of relations of Serbia with its neighbours, the renunciation to the Great-Serbian ideology, the alignment with the EU foreign and security policy, and further progress in the negotiations with the EU.
14. We wish the quick liberalisation of the visa regime, the membership in the Council of Europe, and the attainment of the EU candidate status to Kosovo.
15. Pan-Europe means the integration of the whole continent. We work for this on the fundament of Christian, humanist and democratic values, human rights and the will of the citizens to build up a strong unity in diversity.
In the media
- Pavo Barišić: "Kad rasprava o vrijednostima prijeđe u kažnjavanje država članica, može doći do dezintegracije EU" (Narod)
- Barišić na paneuropskoj konferenciji: "Ako se rasprava o vrednotama preokrene u političke obračune, može doći do dezintegracije EU-a" (Dalmatinski portal)
- Pavo Barišić - ako se rasprava o vrjednotama preokrene u političke obračune, koji vode kažnjavanju država članica, to može dovesti do dezintegracije EU (Moj Zagreb)
- Barišić: Ako se rasprava o vrjednotama preokrene u političke obračune koji vode kažnjavanju članica, to može dovesti do dezintegracije EU (Direktno)
- Barišić: Ako se rasprava o vrjednotama preokrene u političke obračune, koji vode kažnjavanju država članica, to može dovesti do dezintegracije Europske Unije (Radiotelevizija Herceg-Bosne)
- Barišić/Ako se rasprava o vrjednotama preokrene u političke obračune, koji vode kažnjavanju država članica, to može dovesti do dezintegracije Europske Unije (Hrvatsko nebo)
- Pavo Barišić: Ako se rasprava o vrjednotama preokrene u političke obračune, koji vode kažnjavanju država članica, to može dovesti do dezintegracije Europske Unije (Običan radio)
- Usvojena deklaracija: Paneuropska unija čvrsto uz Ukrajinu, Moldaviju kao i uz zemlje jugoistoka Europe (Dalmatinski portal)
- Usvojena deklaracija: Paneuropska unija čvrsto uz Ukrajinu, Moldaviju kao i uz zemlje jugoistoka Europe (Dalmacija danas)
- Paneuropska unija čvrsto uz Ukrajinu, Moldaviju i zemlje jugo-istoka Europe (Nedjelja)
- Paneuropska unija čvrsto uz Ukrajinu, Moldaviju kao i uz zemlje jugoistoka Europe (Dnevni)